In 2012 I wrote a blog for our six-month family trip to Peru, Guatemala, and Belize. I called the blog Let's Go See Llamas.
Since 2015, I've written blog posts on movies playing at Nelson's Civic Theatre:
- What to Watch (15 Sep 2015)
- Jumbo: Keeping It Wild (6 Oct 2015) - about Jumbo Wild
- Climb Everest? Hell No! (20 Oct 2015) - about Everest
- A Personal Selection of Holiday Movies (9 Dec 2015)
- I Have a Good Feeling About This (15 Dec 2015) - about Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
- Great Movies With Just a Few Characters (3 Feb 2016) - about Room
- How to Predict Oscar Winners (16 Feb 2016) - 2015 Oscar Predictions
- Time for More Teen Angst (15 Mar 2016) - about Allegiant
- I Want Some of This!! (26 Apr 2016) - about Everybody Wants Some!!
- New Zealand Smasher (7 Sep 2016) - about Hunt for the Wilderpeople
- Embrace Your Peculiarity (17 Oct 2016) - about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- More Wizard Fun (15 Nov 2016) - about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Almodovar The Fabulador (8 Mar 2017) - about Julieta
- Can Cyberpunk Manga Adaptation Fulfill Promise (5 Apr 2017) - about Ghost in the Shell
- At The Civic, Everyone Will Hear You Scream (17 May 2017) - about Alien: Covenant
- Gotta Love Sleeper Hits Like The Big Sick (26 Jul 2017) - about The Big Sick
- How The French Do Summer Blockbusters (9 Aug 2017) - about Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
- Kinesis - Nelson Film Festival Plus (18 Sep 2017)
- Does Deckard Dream of Origami Unicorns? (4 Oct 2017) - about Blade Runner 2049
- Accept, Show Compassion, Choose Kind (28 Nov 2017) - about Wonder
- Which is Your Favourite Star Wars Movie? (14 Dec 2017) - about Star Wars : Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
- Monster Movie Romance (31 Jan 2018) - about The Shape of Water
- Who Will Win This Year's Oscars (15 Sep 2015) - 2017 Oscar Predictions
- Scare Yourself Silly (15 Jul 2018) - about Hereditary
- Pop Stars in Movies (17 Oct 2018) - about A Start Is Born
- Oscar Race Tighter Than Ever Before (24 Feb 2019) - 2018 Oscar Predictions
- Iain's Better Oscar Predictions Through Statistics - 2019 (30 Jan 2020)
In 2005, I developed a statistical model to predict the winners of the main four categories in the annual Academy Awards (Oscars): Best Picture, Director, Lead Actor, and Lead Actress. Since then, I've published three research articles discussing this work and continue to use the model to predict these four Oscar winners each year. The predictions and links to the research articles are available here.
In 2012, Wiley published the second edition of my regression textbook, Applied Regression Modeling. The book offers a practical, concise introduction to regression analysis for upper-level undergraduate students of diverse disciplines including, but not limited to statistics, the social and behavioral sciences, business, and vocational studies. The book's overall approach is strongly based on an abundant use of illustrations, examples, graphics, and case studies. It develops regression methods in an intuitive fashion so that a strong mathematical background is not needed to master the material.
The website for the book includes the preface, table of contents, information on ordering the book, data files for the examples and problems, information on major statistical software packages that can be used with the book, presentation slides, information on obtaining a solutions manual for all the problems in the book, and additional problems not included in the book.